What information can you find on this page?
- Registration Instructions
- Tuition & Payment
- Withdrawals & Refunds
- Policies for In-Person Summer 2022 Classes
- Undergrad Policy
1. Registration Instructions
Registration for the 2022 Summer session (for both new and continuing students) will open on Friday, April 8.
If you took a class in Spring 2022, you are considered a continuing student.
- Continuing students do not have to redo residency verification through RDS. Please complete the continuing student registration form.
If you did not take a class in Spring 2022, you are considered a new student.
- Complete the online residency verification process at www.ncresidency.org to qualify for in-state tuition. This process must be repeated every year. Students who do not complete or update this verification will be billed the out-of-state tuition rate. If you have any questions about the residency process, please call the RDS Call Center: 844-319-3640.
- Complete the new online application through CFNC. (Full-time UNCA Faculty and Staff members using tuition waivers must do this too.) Refer to our step-by-step tutorial for this process; be sure to select “Student Type: Distance Education” when you see that question on the application! Please be advised there is a non-refundable $35 application fee.
If you run into any problems completing the RDS or CFNC, check out our list of Frequently Asked Questions!
2. Tuition & Payment
All Summer classes are 5-weeks (1 credit hour.)
- In-state tuition is $196.44
- Out-of-state tuition is $539.69
Residency status is determined through www.ncresidency.org. Students who are determined to be out-of-state for tuition purposes, or who fail to complete the Residency Determination Services process, will be billed for out-of-state tuition. More information on tuition can be found on Student Accounts’ “Tuition & Fees – Graduate & Distance Learning” page.
After you are enrolled, you will get a confirmation email with your UNCA Student ID number. You can use this to pay your tuition online with a credit card (without having to login to OnePort) following these instructions. Please be advised that there is a transaction fee.
If you cannot pay by credit card, please send a check made out to “The Great Smokies Writing Program” to the GSWP Office:
Great Smokies Writing Program, c/o Lilly Danzis
UNC Asheville, CPO 1950
1 University Heights
Asheville, NC 28804
3. Withdrawals & Refunds
Please note that refunds will only be given for cancellations received more than two weeks prior to the first class meeting.
Students who decide to withdraw from a class after it has begun should contact our office immediately by email to email@example.com. Failure to attend class without completing the official withdrawal paperwork before the end of the withdrawal period will result in an F as a final grade.
4. Policies for In-Person Summer 2022 Classes
COVID Policy for In-Person Classes
We are thankful to our community partners at the Reuter Center (OLLI) for providing space for our in-person Summer classes! As we are their guests, please follow their member guidelines below surrounding masking, social distancing, and other health and safety precautions while you are on their premises:
- We request and encourage all of our members to be fully vaccinated and have a booster.
- We discourage anyone from attending in-person classes if they have any symptoms of illness and encourage anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 to be tested.
- We encourage maintaining social distance and frequent hand washing. We have limited the number of seats in our classrooms and will continue to offer hand sanitizing stations and wipes for classroom furnishings.
- We strongly request and encourage OLLI members to wear face coverings throughout the spring term when they are indoors. We have many members who live with a wide range of health challenges and are therefore vulnerable to infection. As a community of older adults, we can show our care and respect by continuing to wear our masks. Any member may request that you wear a mask in their personal space. We will, however, be respectful of individual choices to wear or not to wear a mask in any situation.
- We will continue to make cloth OLLI masks and paper surgical masks available throughout the Spring 2022 term.
- There will still be no eating or drinking in our classrooms, and the Reuter Café will remain closed.
Parking Policy for In-Person Classes
In order to be compliant with University policies, all individuals attending an in-person class must purchase a parking permit.
Summer UNCA parking permits will be available for sale through the UNCA parking portal starting around the week of April 25. Summer parking passes are $20 and will be valid for all 5 weeks of class. More information can be found on the Transportation website. Please direct any questions to Trevor Goldsmith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. UNC Asheville Undergraduate Policy
If you are a UNC Asheville undergraduate (or otherwise degree-seeking) student and you would like to take a class with Great Smokies, please email email@example.com and note the following policies:
- Credit hours earned will count towards your elective credits.
- Credit hours earned do not count towards English major/minor requirements.
- Your grade for the course will count towards your GPA.
- Students may register one week before classes start. Summer GSWP registration for degree-seeking students will open the week of 5/30.