What information can you find on this page?
- Registration Instructions
- Tuition and Payment
- Withdrawals and Refunds
- Policies for In-Person Classes
- UNC Asheville Degree-Seeking Student Policy
Registration is open for the Spring 2023 semester.
If you did not take a class in Fall 2022, you are considered a new student. Complete the following steps to register:
Residency Verification with RDS
Complete the online residency verification process to qualify for in-state tuition. This process must be repeated every year. Students who do not complete or update this verification will be billed the out-of-state tuition rate. If you have any questions about the residency process, please call College Foundation of North Carolina: 866.866.2362.Complete residency verification
New Student Application
Complete a UNCA Non-Degree Application. Full-time UNCA Faculty and Staff members using tuition waivers must do this too. Be sure to select Student Type: Distance Education when you see that question on the application. Please be advised there is a non-refundable $35 application fee.Register as a New Student
If you run into any problems completing the RDS or CFNC, check out our list of Frequently Asked Questions!
Tuition and Payment
If you are a UNCA full-time faculty/staff member using a tuition waiver, email your Tuition Waiver form to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 16, 2023.
Tuition for in-state students:
- 5-week (1 credit hour) classes: $197.83
- 10-week (2 credit hour) classes: $395.66
- 15-week (3 credit hour) classes: $593.49
Tuition for out-of-state students:
- 5-week (1 credit hour) classes: $920.66
- 10-week (2 credit hour) classes: $1,841.32
- 15-week (3 credit hour) classes: $2,761.98
More information on tuition can be found on Student Accounts’ “Tuition & Fees – Graduate & Distance Learning” page. If you have questions about residency, please contact Administrative Assistant Lilly Danzis at email@example.com. If you have questions about your bill, please contact Student Accounts.
Paying Tuition Online
Paying by Check
If you cannot pay by credit card, please send a check made out to “The Great Smokies Writing Program” to the GSWP Office:
Great Smokies Writing Program, c/o Lilly Danzis
UNC Asheville, CPO 1950
1 University Heights
Asheville, NC 28804
Withdrawals and Refunds
Please note that refunds will only be given for cancellations received more than two weeks prior to the first class meeting.
Students who decide to withdraw from a class after it has begun should contact our office immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to attend class without completing the official withdrawal paperwork before the end of the withdrawal period will result in an F as a final grade.
Policies for In-Person Classes
COVID Policy for In-Person Classes
Please be courteous and follow these guidelines below surrounding masking, social distancing, and other health and safety precautions when you attend in-person classes:
- We encourage all GSWP students attending in-person classes to be fully vaccinated and have a booster.
- Please do not attend in-person classes if you have any symptoms of illness. We encourage anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 to be tested.
- We encourage maintaining social distance and frequent hand washing.
- We strongly request and encourage students attending in-person classes to wear face coverings when they are indoors. We have many students who live with a wide range of health challenges and are therefore vulnerable to infection. As a community, we can show our care and respect by continuing to wear our masks. Any member may request that you wear a mask in their personal space. We will, however, be respectful of individual choices to wear or not to wear a mask in any situation.
In-person Spring 2023 classes will meet at Hanger Hall School. A map and driving directions can be found on their website. The address is:
64 W. T. Weaver Boulevard
Asheville, NC 28804
Parking is located in front of the building, and is free.
UNC Asheville Degree-Seeking Student Policy
If you are a UNC Asheville degree-seeking student (undergraduate or post-bac) and you would like to take a class with Great Smokies, please email email@example.com and note the following policies:
- Credit hours earned will count towards your elective credits.
- Credit hours earned do not count towards English major/minor requirements.
- Your grade for the course will count towards your GPA.
- Students may register one week before classes start. Spring 2023 GSWP registration for degree-seeking students will open on the following dates:
- For 10-week classes: February 13
- For 5-week classes: March 13