Writers at Home
Are you interested in hearing local and regional writers read from their own works? Join us for our Writers at Home Series! The series was started by novelist and longtime former Program Director Tommy Hays and held at Malaprop’s Bookstore / Café.
Today, the series is hosted by Program Coordinator Jennifer McGaha, and held at Malaprop’s and Story Parlor. Events are free and open to the public.
- August 27, 7pm at Story Parlor: GSWP Faculty & Staff Reading featuring Erin Hallagan Clare, Annie Frazier Crandell, Lilly Danzis, Meagan Lucas, Sebastian Matthews, Jennifer McGaha, and Brit Washburn
This reading is free to attend, but space is limited. Doors open at 6:30pm and seating is first come, first served.
- September 17, 5pm at Malaprop’s: Wild Women Panel: five local women hiker-writers/writer-hikers will discuss how their time in the outdoors has shaped their personal and professional lives. Panelists: Danny Bernstein, Rachel Durchslag, Nancy East, and Amber Niven; moderated by Jennifer McGaha.
- This reading is free to attend, but registration is required.
- October 15, 5pm at Malaprop’s: four WNC poets will read from their work and discuss their creative journeys.
- November 19, 5pm at Malaprop’s: GSWP Student Open Mic
- December 10, 7pm at Story Parlor: Great Smokies Review Fall 2023 Celebration
- January 15, 3pm via livestream: Spring Faculty Reading
- February 19, 5pm hybrid: Publishing Panel featuring Jacqui Castle, Joanne O’Sullivan, Heather Newton, and Beth Revis, moderated by Jennifer McGaha
- March 19, 5pm hybrid: “Queer Asheville Writers on Love, Grief, and Getting a Good Night’s Sleep” featuring Lori Horvitz, Maggie Anderson, Eric Tran, Bruce Spang, and Lockie Hunter
- April 16, 5pm in-store: Mildred K. Barya Launches The Animals of My Earth School in conversation with Tina Barr.
- May 21, 5pm hybrid: Spring 2023 Great Smokies Review
You can view earlier sessions of Writers at Home and other author events on Malaprop’s YouTube page.